The Indian government is ramping up efforts to fingerprint and iris scan the entirety of its 1.2 billion citizens in an ambitious scheme to issue national ID cards with biometric details. The plan has so far already enrolled 110 million people and issued 60 million numbers, with the aim of enrolling 200 million by this March and 600 million by 2014.
Find out about the history and consequences of biometric ID this week on GRTV – Behind the Headlines.
- India’s Biometric ID Scheme (usamericanfreedom.com)
- UIDAI’s biometric technology ready to achieve scale and high accuracy for country’s 1.2 billion populations (silicontrust.wordpress.com)
- The New International Biometric Passports (propheticalert.wordpress.com)
- The Future of Airport Passport Control (immortaltech.wordpress.com)
- Indians signing life away for biometric ID cards (disclose.tv)
- Biometrics Demystified: What You Need To Know (informationweek.com)
- Suprema live scanners ready & tested to capture millions of fingerprints in India (security-news-tv.com)
- Cashless Society: India Implements First Biometric ID Program for all of its 1.2 Billion Residents (mountainrepublic.net)